|Real Name:||Remy LeBeau|
|Originally From:||New Orleans, Louisiana, USA|
Jean-Luc LeBeau (adopted father)
MRD, Magneto, Scarlet WItch
|Powers:|| Molecular Acceleration
|Equipment:||Playing cards, bo staff|
|First appearance:||"Thieves' Gambit"|
|Portrayed by:||Phil LaMarr|
Remy LeBeau, also known as Gambit, is a Cajun mutant who is often hired for mercenary work, most commonly by Senator Kelly.
Gambit is the devastatingly handsome, charming and charismatic master thief of the New Orleans/Global Thieves' Guild. Little is known about Gambit's early life. It could be assumed that he is the King of the Thieves' Guild.
He was hired by Sybil Zane and Bolivar Trask to steal a device from the X-Men that could neutralize mutant powers. He got the collar giving it to Trask and Zane. However, Wolverine burned his money and offered him some if he helped him retrieve it. The two fought to get it back and though Gambit tried to betray Wolverine he did not escape with the collar.
He was later hired to steal Magneto's helmet. He went to Genosha and romanced his daughter Polaris. He then sabotaged Genosha's facilities and fled, warning Polaris that this is the way the world really is after she helped him escape prison when Scarlet Witch locked him because he and Polaris kissed. It may be he felt guilt for betraying Polaris and was really sorry for hurting her, but, in the end, he still left. However, if you study his expression as he's apologizing to Polaris, there might be a small part of him that dislikes what he had to do.
His whereabouts afterward is unknown.
Powers and Abilities Edit
Molecular Acceleration: Remy has the power to take the potential energy stored in an object and convert it to kinetic energy thus “charging” that item with explosive results. He prefers to charge smaller objects, such as his ever-present playing cards, as the time required to charge them is greatly reduced and they are much easier for him to throw. The only real limitation to this ability is the time required to charge the object. The larger it is the more time it takes.
Most charging takes place through direct skin contact. The power of his explosions is dependent on the mass of the object he is charging, for example, a charged playing card explodes with the force of a grenade. He typically cannot utilize his powers on living matter or organic molecules.
These powers have been altered on various occasions; sometimes bolstered while other times weakened. They were most notably augmented once by Sage to enable him to accelerate his own regeneration process and better control his kinetic shifting. And again by Faiza when he was shot through the head by a crime lord and spat a bullet back at him that eviscerated the later
- Dissolution: Gambit can also cause objects to pull themselves apart instead of exploding violently making them harmlessly melt down to nothing. Once having focused charging on dissolving shrapnel in a victims stomach and at times when jumpstarted able to overcharge falling debris from crumbling buildings. His control over this has increased to the point he can shatter ice he was encased in without blowing up.
- Disruption: Gambit can tame his explosive acceleration to temporarily scramble a persons sensory awareness knocking them out cold.
- Enhanced Conditioning: Gambit's ability to tap energy also grants him increased speed, strength, reflexes and reactions, flexibility, dexterity, coordination, balance, and endurance as a side effect. Bestowing him an added edge he has used to his advantage by developing a unique acrobatic fighting style. Under normal circumstances, the physical "charge" he receives makes his abilities exceptional, but not quite superhuman.
- Accelerating Regeneration: Gambit can enhance his own recovery rate by stimulating his own cellular activity. Through this process having once healed after removing a bone slag lodged in his chest, and again when his eyes were damaged by a charged card exploding in his face; Sage had augmented his powers enabling him to restore his sight indicating his regenerative powers are innate yet sparsely used.
- Enhancement: Can supercharge the energy both converted and accelerated to get more of a bang out of even the smallest objects as well as giving them greater concussive or stopping power.
- Static Interference: Creates natural static, because of the charged potential energy always in his body, that shields his mind from intrusion by telepaths. Can increase the effect by holding a charged object near his head. Although reportedly uncomfortable for the parties involved, this shield does not totally prevent telepathic invasion.
- Vibration Emission: Gambit, through the kinetic acceleration instead of conversion can emit a shockwave accompanying a bright flashbang which leaves a sizable crater in the ground.
- Sheering/Cutting: By charging his cards, Remy can use them to slice through objects as dense as solid steel without worry of it exploding.
Hypnotic Charm: Subliminal psionic talent channeled through his voice that allows a subtle influence over any sentient mind. This power allows Gambit to compel others to believe what he says and agree with anything he suggests. More powerful minds have proven immune to Gambit's charm, and people who are consciously aware of what he's doing can shake off the effects.
Deathseed Powers: As the Horseman of Death, Remy received new abilities and a new appearance. Sinister allegedly removed Apocalypse's influence from Gambit, but the Death personality and look resurfaced intermittently for several months. It has been some time since Gambit's last reversion into Death, but the second power set was never explicitly removed again.
- Toxic Transmutation: As Death, he has the ability to convert breathable air into poisonous gases. He could either create clouds out of the surrounding air, or transmute the oxygen already inside someone's lungs.
- Death Charge: As Death, Gambit could charge objects in a manner differently than his regular kinetic charge. This "death charge" caused his cards to break down living matter on contact, totally disintegrating a victim.
- Trajectory Manipulation: Gambits Death persona also seemed capable of guiding these charged cards to their target mentally.
- Enhanced Psychic Resistance: As Death, Gambit was unaffected by psionic manipulations that would affect him normally. When his Death personality surfaced, Remy was no longer fooled or distracted by Input's telepathic distortions.
- Corruption: When reverting to Death in Limbo, Gambit displayed the ability to corrupt other creatures and subvert them to his will. When used on Northstar and Dazzler they began resembling him, gaining pitch-black skin and white hair.